Disclosure Documents

The following are documents shared with new clients upon contract agreement. View all notices in a PDF document →

Consumer Protection Notice

Oregon law requires contractors to provide the homeowner with this notice at the time of written contract, for work on a residential structure. This notice explains licensing , bond and insurance requirements, and steps that consumers can take to help protect their interests.

  1. Make sure your contractor is properly licensed before you sign a contract. Visit www.oregon.gov/ccb, and click on the link, Check on a Contractor’s License, or call our offices at 503-378-4621. To be licensed in Oregon, contractors must take training and pass a test on business practices and law. Licensing is not a guarantee of the contractor’s work.
    • A license requires the contractor to maintain a surety bond and liability insurance - The CCB surety bond provides a limited amount of financial security if the contractor is ordered to pay damages in contract disputes. It is not intended to be a safety net for consumer damages. Consumers with large projects may wish to look into performance bonds. Liability insurance coverage provides for property damage and bodily injury caused by the contractor. It does not cover contract disputes, including poor workmanship.
    • If your contractor is not licensed - the CCB bond and dispute resolution services will not be available to you.
  2. What you should know about bids, contracts, and change orders:
    • Bids - Do not automatically accept the lowest bid - A low bid may make it necessary for the contractor to use lower quality materials and to cut corners in workmanship.
    • Contracts and Change Orders - Always get it in writing. Your contractor is required to provide a written contract if the contract price is more than $2000. The CCB recommends that all contracts be in writing.
    • Contracts should be as detailed as possible - Some items to include are materials and costs, permits, estimated start and completion dates, debris removal, and arbitration clauses. Make sure the contractor’s name, CCB number, and contact information is included in the contract.
    • Read and understand your contract before signing it - Don’t be pressured into signing your contract without taking the time needed to go through it. Make sure it includes enough details to avoid misunderstandings and to protect you and your property.
  3. Additional contract information you should know:
    • A Payment Schedule - should be included in the contract. Stick to the schedule and never pay in full for a project before the work is complete.
    • Special Note on Liens - Subcontractors and material suppliers that work on your project are often paid by the general contractor. If a general contractor fails to pay, the subcontractor may file a lien on your property. For information on construction liens, visit the CCB’s Consumer Help Page at www.oregon.gov/ccb, or contact an attorney.
    • Warranty on new residential construction - Contractors must make an offer of a warranty when constructing a new residential structure. Consumers may accept or refuse the warranty.
  4. If you should have a problem with your contractor - You can file a complaint with the CCB against a licensed contractor within one year of the substantial completion of work on your project. Contact the CCB office at 503-378-4621 for help.

Visit the CCB website at for more information on having a successful project. www.oregon.gov/ccb

Notice of Procedure

Regarding Residential Construction Arbitrations and Lawsuits (ORS 701.330)

Oregon law contains important requirements that homeowners must follow before starting an arbitration or court action against any contractor, subcontractor, or supplier (materials or equipment) for construction defects.

Before you start an arbitration or court action, you must do the following:

  1. Deliver a written notice of any conditions that you believe are defective to the contractor, subcontractor, or supplier that you believe is responsible for the alleged defect.
  2. Allow the contractor, subcontractor, supplier, or its agent, to visually inspect the possible defects and also allow the contractor, subcontractor, or supplier to do reasonable testing.
  3. Provide the contractor, subcontractor, supplier, or its agent, the opportunity to make an offer to repair or pay for the defects. You are not obligated to accept any offer made.

There are strict procedures and deadlines that must be followed under Oregon law. Failure to follow those procedures or meet those deadlines will affect your right to start an arbitration or court action.

You should contact an attorney for information on the procedures and deadlines required under Oregon law.


Under Oregon’s laws, those who work on your property or provide labor, equipment, services or materials and are not paid have a right to enforce their claim for payment against your property. This claim is known as a construction lien.

If your contractor fails to pay subcontractors, materials suppliers, rental equipment suppliers, service providers or laborers, or neglects to make other legally required payments, the people who are owed money can look to your property for payment, even if you have paid your contractor in full.

The law states that all people hired by a contractor to provide you with materials, equipment, labor or services must give you a Notice of Right to a Lien to let you know what they have provided.


  • RECOGNIZE that this Notice of Right to a Lien may result in a lien against your property unless all those supplying a Notice of Right to a Lien have been paid.
  • LEARN more about the lien laws and the meaning of this notice by contacting an attorney, the firm sending this notice, or the Construction Contractors Board (CCB). NOTE: CCB cannot give legal advice.
  • ASK for a statement of the labor, equipment, services or materials provided to your property from each party that sends you a notice of right to a lien.
  • WHEN PAYING your contractor for materials, equipment, labor or services, you may make checks payable jointly to the contractor and the firm furnishing materials, equipment, labor or services for which you have received a notice of right to a lien.
  • OR use one of the methods suggested by the “Information Notice to Owners About Construction Liens.” If you have not received this notice from your contractor, contact the Construction Contractors Board.
  • GET EVIDENCE that all firms from whom you have received a notice of right to a lien have been paid or have waived the right to claim a lien against your property.
  • CONSULT an attorney, a professional escrow company or your mortgage lender.

Learn more about the lien laws by reviewing the Construction Liens pamphlet on the Construction Contractors Board website at https://www.oregon.gov/CCB/Documents/pdf/constructionlienspamplet.pdf.

87.021 Notice to owners; notice from owner to original contractor; effect of failure to give notice. (1) Except when material, equipment, services or labor described in ORS 87.010 (1) to (3), (5) and (6) is furnished at the request of the owner, a person furnishing any materials, equipment, services or labor described in ORS 87.010 (1) to (3), (5) and (6) for which a lien may be perfected under ORS 87.035 shall give a notice of right to a lien to the owner of the site. The notice of right to a lien may be given at any time during the progress of the improvement, but the notice only protects the right to perfect a lien for materials, equipment and labor or services provided after a date which is eight days, not including Saturdays, Sundays and other holidays as defined in ORS 187.010, before the notice is delivered or mailed. However, no lien is created under ORS 87.010 (5) or (6) for any services provided for an owner-occupied residence at the request of an agent of the owner.
(2) The notice required by subsection (1) of this section shall be substantially in the form set forth in ORS 87.023.
(3)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a lien created under ORS 87.010 (1) to (3), (5) or (6) may be perfected under ORS 87.035 only to the extent that the notice required by subsection (1) of this section is given. (b) A person who performs labor upon a commercial improvement or provides labor and material for a commercial improvement or who rents equipment used in the construction of a commercial improvement need not give the notice required by subsection (1) of this section in order to perfect a lien created under ORS 87.010. As used in this paragraph: (A) “Commercial improvement” means any structure or building not used or intended to be used as a residential building, or other improvements to a site on which such a structure or building is to be located. (B) “Residential building” means a building or structure that is or will be occupied by the owner as a residence and that contains not more than four units capable of being used as residences or homes.
(4) Unless otherwise agreed or the lien claimant who is required to give the notice under subsection (1) of this section is in privity with the original contractor, when a provision in an agreement for the construction of a commercial improvement requires the original contractor to hold an owner harmless or to indemnify an owner for a lien created under ORS 87.010 and perfected under ORS 87.035, that provision is not enforceable as to any lien which requires that a notice under this section be given to the owner unless a copy of the notice is delivered pursuant to ORS 87.018 to the original contractor not later than 10 days after its receipt by the owner.